As the nights start to draw in and the leaves fall all around us, you’ll love this Free Cute Hedgehog Pattern!
You will need:
- Aran weight wool in 2 colours
- 4mm – 6mm knitting needles
- Tapestry needle for sewing up
- 2 buttons or beads for eyes
- Knit stocking stitch using knit and purl
- Increase stitches by Knitting a stitch into the front and another into the back of the same stitch (kfb)
- Decrease stitches by Knitting 2 stitches together (k2tog)
Body – Worked in reverse stocking stitch.
Cast on 3 stitches in the colour for the body
Row 1: kfb all stitches (6 stitches)
Row 2 and all even rows to row 18: purl
Row 3: kfb all stitches (12 stitches)
Row 5: kfb all stitches (24 stitches)
Rows 6-14: continue in reverse stocking stitch
Row 15: (k4, k2tog) repeat to end (20 stitches)
Row 17: (k3, k2tog) repeat to end (16 stitches)
Row 18: purl
Row 19: change to colour for face and purl.
Row 20: (k2, k2tog) repeat to end (12 stitches)
Row 21: purl
Row 22: (k1, k2tog) repeat to end (8 stitches)
Row 23: purl
Row 24: k2tog whole row (4 stitches)
Cut wool leaving a long enough end to sew up your hedgehog. Thread the end on to a tapestry needle and thread it through the remaining 4 stitches. Pull it up tight. Sew up the seam and stuff. Sew on 2 small buttons or beads for the eyes.
Like this pattern? You could be knitting this with your friends in one of our classes!
Find a knitting class near you